Thursday, September 22, 2011

Look alike dolls comfort Tsunami Survivors

Survivors of the natural disasters in Japan are finding healing and comfort in Omokage bina dolls that resemble loved ones that have passed on.

Mika Sato, has found that two dolls resembling her 6 year old daughter who died in the March 11 tsunami, have helped with her emotional scars.

After Sato received the two dolls from the nonprofit organization Tamezo Club, she said “It was like my daughter came back to me.”

Omokage bina dolls are made by craftsmen who work from photos of deceased people. The craftsmen work many hours to capture the person’s features in the doll; 1 doll can take up to 1 month to complete.

Thirty-six dolls have been donated to families, the Tamezo Club plans to donate a further 1,000 dolls. The organization has also received requests from people who want dolls of their parents and grandparents.

I find this story interesting. I’m no therapist but I question if these dolls are really helping the individuals cope with loss. Like I say, I’m no expert, but part of dealing with loss is acceptance. Accepting that your loved one is gone. With these clone dolls, these people may not be dealing with the loss and burying their feelings.

Ref: http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/

No comments:

Post a Comment