Thursday, September 16, 2010

Happy Moon Festival 2010


This weekend is Moon Festival Time, Happy Moon Festival to you and your family!


The Moon Festival is a popular harvest festival celebrated by Chinese and Vietnamese people for over 3,000 years. The Moon Festival is held on the 15thd day of the eighth month in the Lunar Calender, which is around late September or Early October in the Solar Calender. This year, Moon Festival falls upon September 12. On this date the moon is at its roundest and fullest, it will be a very beautiful feature in the night sky.

Moon Festival is a time for family gatherings. The full round moon symbolises the reunion of the whole family. There are lots of ways to celebrate moon festival, having a feast with your family, going to festivals in your local city to watch dragon dances and carrying beautifully lit lanterns around at night when the moon is glowing. I have fond childhood memories of Moon Festival. My parents took me to the store to choose my lantern each year and we’ll go to the celebrations in the city. I always picked the pretty butterfly. I still love butterflies, I admire love the intricate patterns on their wings, its amazing artworks to me.

Another awesome thing about Moon Festival are moon cakes. Moon cakes are sweet dense cakes made with various fillings, lotus seed, red bean, nuts. In the centre of the cake there is a whole egg yolk, representing the full moon. It’s my favourite part of the cake, it’s really tasty. The cake is small, but you cannot eat it alone because it’s so dense and sweet. The moon cake is designed to be shared amongst the family so it would be cut in small pieces for everyone to enjoy. I love moon cakes so much, I can finish one all by myself… I have a very sweet tooth. There are lots of variations on moon cakes, if your not a fan of egg or nuts you can get just lotus seed ones.

Check out cool more photos of moon cakes at our facebook page www.facebook.com/cherriipop
There are cool pics of hello kitty moon cake, and the largest moon cake ever made! Weighing in at 22.5 tonnes! Absolutely Gigantic!

Have a great Moon Festival this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment